Saturday 28 May 2016

Slipping the boat in the most picturesque weather

This year, I ended up more-or-less responsible for getting our boat out of the water for the winter. Certainly I was the only one down there from our boat, and I'm not the skipper or the owner so it was a bit weird, but I figured I'm brave and clever and would do my best.

I got there at dawn - here is a high-res picture for your screen background or wherever you want to sell canvas prints of yachts in a harbour at sunrise.
And by this stage it was lunchtime and everyone had just about finished so I went home to dry off and warm up.

Actually it was exquisitely gorgeous down there for about the first two hours.


After a bit of the customary standing around at the yacht club saying 'hmmm', I got some guys to drive me out to the boat for me to prepare it for bringing into shore. The plan was that our boat would be first on the list. So I sat out there waiting. It was very still and very pretty, and I took lots of photos.
Inline image 5
Inline image 3
Inline image 2Inline image 4

I noticed other boats being brought up the slipway before ours, which wasn't the plan! After about an hour, the ducky came to get me - they couldn't find the cradle on shore and needed me to tell them which one it was. By now the cradle was boxed in, and there were about 4 boats ahead of ours.

So I went back in to have a nutritious breakfast (fried chicken strips and a coffee) and to help out with pushing the yachts around the yard like this
Inline image 6
 
and I waited
and I waited
and I waited

At about 11:00, the black clouds rolled in and the temperature dropped from 15 degrees to 8 degrees. Of course this was exactly when they were ready for me to go back out to our boat and bring it in!
These guys were driving the ducky which towed our boat in. (we had already removed the motor some weeks ago so it had no way of getting in without being towed.)
Look how even the old salts are rugged up against the rain and cold wind!

Inline image 7
So with numb fingers, we brought the boat up onto the slipway. It was beautifully set, and rolled straight into position. I didn't take any more pictures for a little while because I was too busy. But here's where it is staying for the winter, and you can even see the weed growing on its belly which I had to remove using a high-pressure hose. I got coated in antifoul, but at least it was white antifoul. The guys removing antifoul from the boats with blue bellies ended up with blue faces, like the most unattractive version of Mystique ever.
Inline image 8




So that's my story!
What's up in your world?

No comments:

Post a Comment